What does Confidentiality really mean?
Your therapist, and any staff member within this clinic, has a legal, ethical, and professional responsibility to abide by state and federal regulations designed to prevent disclosure of any information that could identify you, unless:
- You sign a consent to release or obtain information.
- A court order mandates the release of information.
- In an emergency situation, medical personnel may be informed of pertinent information or qualified personnel for program evaluation and supervision.
- You commit or threaten to commit a crime which could cause harm to yourself or another individual.
- If there is suspicion of physical, sexual, or extreme emotional abuse of a minor, the law mandates a report to local authorities.
- Professional review of your case with Counseling Specialists/Supervisors staff as required by state regulations.
- Biological parents have access to information regarding their children (under the age of 14)